We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
Fairview Animal Hospital recommends neutering your male dogs and spaying your female dogs to help decrease the risk of prostate, testicular, uterine, and mammary cancers, as well as reducing the risk of prostate, uterine and ovarian infections. Also, neutering and spaying your dog can help eliminate unwanted and dangerous behaviour.
Neutering your male dog refers to the surgical removal of their reproductive organs (both testicles and their associated structures), and he is no longer able to reproduce. Spaying your female dog refers to the surgical removal of their reproductive organs (ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus) and she is no longer able to reproduce.
Why is it important to neuter/spay my dog?
Neutering and spaying your canine friend will decrease the risk of certain cancers and infections as well as help eliminate unwanted and dangerous behaviour.
How old should a dog be before they are neutered/spayed?
Our Veterinarians generally recommend neutering/spaying after 6 months of age. This recommendation can vary up to 9 to 15 months of age depending on factors such as breed and sex of your dog.
How much does it cost to neuter/spay a dog?
For pricing, please contact the hospital and we will be happy to provide you with a quote.
If you need to give your dog medication, learning how to do it right will make the process easier both for you and your pup. Remember to always follow the instructions given by your veterinarian and be sure to administer the full amount of medication over the number of days instructed by your vet.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 902.443.9385. One of our staff members will obtain a history either via phone or from outside of your vehicle, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return your pet to you outside once the veterinarian discusses a recommended treatment plan.
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN but are now working with reduced hours, reduced staff numbers and a need to close for extensive cleaning between shifts. Monday to Friday 10am-7pm; and Saturdays from 10am - 2pm
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will take payment over the phone and place the items in a pickup bin located just outside our front doors.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Online consultations are now available! If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.