Our team continues to be here for you and your cherished pets. We are OPEN and are now able to provide a wide range of services. To learn more about the changes we have implemented in response to COVID-19 and what to expect during your next visit, click here.
Welcome to Fairview Animal Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia
Built in 1968 by Dr. Ross Ainslie, the team at the Fairview Animal Hospital is committed to offering excellence in animal health care, promoting responsible pet ownership and health-related educational opportunities for our clients. The Fairview Animal Hospital is one of a group of three (see also the Spryfield Animal Hospital and the Halifax Veterinary Hospital) that are owned by the Halifax Veterinary Hospital Inc.
Collectively our team offers over 215 years of experience with extensive and ongoing training in all aspects of veterinary medicine.
The Fairview Animal Hospital is an accredited member of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). Since 1985, we have regularly undergone evaluations by AAHA to ensure that we comply with the association’s high-quality standards of care. These standards cover nearly every aspect of our hospital, including surgery, pharmacy, laboratory, exam facilities, patient care, cleanliness, client service, emergency services, diagnostic imaging, and anesthesiology. The AAHA accreditation process is rigorous and only about 7 percent of Animal Hospitals in North America receive this highly valued accreditation.
The professional and courteous health care team at the Fairview Animal Hospital provide the best possible medical, surgical and dental care for our highly-regarded patients. While we are experts in our field dedicated to giving our best every day, we are also pet owners who understand your desire to give your pets the best care. We treat all of our patients as if they were our own pets. Please take a moment to contact us today, to learn more about how our veterinary practice can serve the needs of you and your cherished pet. We look forward to being Your Other Family Doctor.
We have been awarded the gold award in the Professional Services – Veterinary Services category in the 2019 Readers’ Choice Awards.
If you need to give your dog medication, learning how to do it right will make the process easier both for you and your pup. Remember to always follow the instructions given by your veterinarian and be sure to administer the full amount of medication over the number of days instructed by your vet.
Here at Fairview Animal Hospital, we see many different types of exotic animals and small mammals. No matter the size or the species of animal, we do a thorough examination to ensure your pet is as healthy as they can be.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 902.443.9385. One of our staff members will obtain a history via phone and meet you at our front door to bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return your pet to you outside once the veterinarian discusses a recommended treatment plan.
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive vaccinations for adult dogs and cats as well as puppies and kittens. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN but are now working with reduced hours, reduced staff numbers and a need to close for extensive cleaning between shifts. Monday to Friday 10am-2pm, 4pm-7pm; and Saturdays from 10am - 2pm
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will take payment over the phone and place the items in a pickup bin located just outside our front doors.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Online consultations are now available! If you wish to connect with a veterinarian via message, phone or video, visit our website and follow the "Online Consultation" link.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.